What to Consider When Planning a Safari for your Family
Looking for ideas for your next family holiday? Forget Disney World why not consider something fun and educational at the same time. Take your children miles away from TV, video games and computers and get back to nature with an African safari with Nature Bound Africa.
Not only will children will be exposed to incredible wildlife but also a vastly different culture. Imagine your children seeing a magnificent Maasai warrior for the first time or learning to make a fire from wood and stone! What may appear to be a daunting process, planning a safari for the whole family is not as difficult as it may first appear.
Here are some things to consider before booking:
1.Countries such as Uganda, Rwanda, Kenya and Tanzania have more experience in dealing with families so they should possibly be your first port of call.
2. The safari peak season is June to Oct. If you are looking to save a few pennies and you are tied to travelling during the European school holidays (ie the peak season), consider visiting Rwanda or Uganda which are the exception – having their low season during these months.
3.If you are worried about long flights consider East Africa (Kenya and Tanzania) where the flights are shorter (around 8 hrs from Europe). In saying that, an overnight flight and with the time difference either 1 or 2 hours (depending on time of year) there is no jet lag to contend with.
4. Not all safari lodges take children or allow them onto game drives. You may need to consider a private vehicle or babysitting services. Nature Bound Africa know’s the lodges which are child friendly offering specially tailored child-centred activities which will give parents a break and provide endless hours of fun and learning for the children.
5. Consider which East African countries require vaccinations and malaria tablets.
6. Don’t plan for too long on safari, if you are away for 2 weeks combine your safari with a beach break in the likes of Zanzibar or Mombasa. Most of the resorts or hotels on the beach offer kid’s clubs, brilliant activities and water sports as well as family rooms.
7. Nature Bound Africa has experience in planning family holidays to East Africa in order that it is expertly organized.