Mount Meru Trek / Climb
Mt. Meru is a beautiful mountain to hike. The 5 day hike to the summit of Mt Meru through verdant afromontane forest into high altitude alpine desert with stunning views of a dormant volcano. There is possible sightings of wildlife on foot, afromontane forest, less busy than Kilimanjaro, excellent bird life and. Mount Meru is one of the most under rated hikes in East Africa.
Day 1: Kilimanjaro International Airport – Arusha.
On arrival you are personally met by one of our representatives and transferred to Arusha to Meru Inn hotel. In the afternoon or in the evening there will be a full briefing with the Mountain Guide that will be trekking with you. Bed & Breakfast at Meru Inn Back Packers.
Day 2: MT MERU / MIRIAKAMBA
In the morning we are collected from your hotel and transfer to Arusha National Park. At the Momella gate we finish registration formalities before setting off with your guide and armed ranger – there is abundant wildlife in the forests! The forest section is especially scenic with strangler figs and the possibility of seeing buffalo grazing in one of the clearings. In the late afternoon we reach a viewpoint before heading onto Miriakamba hut for dinner and Overnight Miriakamba hut
DAY 3: MT MERU / SADDLE HUT
We set off from Miriakamba initially still in the forest zone but in a few hours as we reach Saddle hut for lunch in the alpine desert zone. In the afternoon a walk to the summit of Little Meru can be taken for stunning views before heading back to Saddle Hut for dinner and Overnight Saddle Hut.
DAY 4: MT MERU / MIRIAKAMBA – Arusha
We rise early and our hard work is rewarded at dawn as the sun rises to the East. Kilimanjaro is normally clearly seen from here and the sheer cliffs of the crater fall dramatically 1000 feet or more. We return back and after some brunch at Saddle Hut, we continue down to MIRIAKAMBA. The final section takes up to 3 hours to return to our vehicles where we say farewell to our crew and have time for a short picnic lunch and after we return to Arusha for a well deserved shower! Bed and Breakfast at Meru Inn Backpackers.
DAY 5: ARUSHA – KILIMANJARO AIRPORT
A vehicle is on hand to transfer you to Kilimanjaro Airport for a flight back home.
• Transfers from Arusha or Kilimanjaro Airport and return
• Accommodation arrival day and the last after the climb
• Transfers from the hotel to National Park Gate and back
• Certified, experienced, English-speaking Mountain guide
• Mountain Climbing fees / National Park Fees
• Porters and guide/s, Cook – Allowance & salary
• All food and catering equipment – breakfasts, lunches (packed when necessary) and evening meals prepared by our own cook. Special dietary requirements are catered for with prior arrangements at no extra cost.
Not included services:
• International Flight
• Personal Mountain equipment e.g warm clothes, shoes etc
• Tips for guides, chef and porters